Friday, January 21, 2011

A Change of Heart?

Being on the adoption forums has taught me more then I could have ever imagined about reunion.
And over the years I have searched for my 1st mother with a burning passion and desire to know my natural mother. Last night hit me hard, but not in the sense that you would think. Just stay with me it will all make sense in just a minute.

Last night, Chris and I were watching one of our favorite shows, The Ghost Whisperer, and it was the episode where a 17 year old boy finds out that he was adopted and tragically dies while arguing with his adoptive mother about finding his birth mother. In the middle of the show Chris looks at me and says "I'm giving you the money to find your birth mother."

Now the old me would have jumped up and down or maybe just cried tears of joy, but the more educated me, well, she sat there and stared at her husband, and thought of more practical things to do with $500. My poor husband, Chris just looked at me "Aren't you happy? You have to find her, you've always wanted to find her."
It was so hard to explain to him that I've learned that reunion isn't as simple as finding each other, it's about building a lasting relationship, it's about ups and downs, and emotional draining if things don't go well in Reunion Land.

I've stopped letting my search dictate how my emotions are for the day. I've stopped letting it consume me. I'm a wife and a mother of 2 kids under 6, I don't have time to dwell on the "what ifs" anymore. I also have to think about whether right now is a good time to possible interrupt my children's lives and my husbands, and my parents lives because it's not just about me if a reunion happens. Am I ready to rock the boat?

In the back of my mind I also know that I am the Queen of Avoidance. I am afraid of change and I allow myself to get comfortable. I really need to reflect on this one. It's so funny to think had someone told me when I was 18 that they would give me the money to find her I would have jumped without hesitation, and here I am at 24, being cautious.

I may call the agency today and have them pull my file for me, I do not want to spend $500 for the request to search and permission to search paperwork if she's made sure I can't find her. I know she last updated her file 19 years ago. Maybe they'll just tell me if her full name and birthdate are in the file. With knowing that information, I'll know what direction I have options for. But this is going to need a lot of thought and a lot of prayer. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Big hugs - lots to sort through. I think that the fact that you're taking your children into consideration is wonderful, but make sure you're not using them as an excuse. Only you can know that. ;) Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy thank you. I posted on the forums today and got a lot of support and was given a lot to think about. I really need to dig deep within myself on this one. Process why I want to find her, and try to prepare myself and my family for the different senarios that could come of this. But most of all I need to prepare myself.

    I am trulty blessed to have such a supportive family and friends IRL and online that will help lift me up regardless of my decision

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not adopted, so I have absolutely no idea what you are going through or have previously been through, but I wanted you to know that I think you should go for it. I *think* if I were in your position, I would do it, just so 40 years down the road I didn't have the "what if.." questions nagging at me. That's just me, though. I'm sure no matter what decision you make, you'll be fine! Good luck and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually, it is emotionally draining even when things do go well (and most do go well). So many emotions come up...lots of healing. It's tough, that is for sure. I do think you will regret it if you don't go through with it though. That is not only your mother (your flesh and blood) but your (and your kids') entire cultural, genetic and medical history. It's worth it. I know this for a fact. Go for it.
    By the way, have you tried a search angel? They do searches for free...I can put you in touch. Depending on what state you were born in, you could potentially get your OBC showing your mother's name and address. CC (as far as I know) won't give you identifying information such as names. They search and make contact for you.
    Good luck! I'm rooting for you:D

    ReplyDelete